Stephen Unwin (born 1959) is an English theatre director. Stephen read English at the University of Cambridge, where he directed many student productions, including an award-winning production of Measure for Measure that transferred to the Almeida, where he was awarded an Arts Council Trainee Director’s Bursary, he has since directed over 50 professional productions and 12 operas. For much of the 1980s, he was Associate Director at the Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh, and several of his productions transferred to London theatres. He worked with a wide range of leading actors, including Simon Rusell Beale, Tilda Swinton, Ken Stott, and dozens of others. In the early 1990s, he became Resident Director at the National Theatre Studio.
He launched the English Touring Theatre in June 1993, where he directed twenty productions, many of which were seen at the Old Vic, the Donmar, the Lyric Hammersmith and others. He stepped down from ETT in 2008 after fifteen years at the helm. He became the second Artistic Director (after Sir Peter Hall) of the Rose Theatre, Kingston. He has also directed in Europe and in British repertory theatre.
He was joint winner of the 2003 Sam Wanamaker Award with Barrie Rutter, and in autumn 2003 was Judith E Wilson Visiting Fellow at Cambridge University.
Stephen Unwin was Artistic Director of The Rose Theatre in Kingston, Greater London between 2008 and 2014.
In September 2010 Stephen directed Noël Coward’s Hay Fever, a Rose Theatre production starring Celia Imrie, which received great critical acclaim.
He was Visiting Professor at the University of California and the Judith E Wilson Visiting Fellow at Cambridge University.
- Director, A Song at Twilight, Theatre Royal Bath Productions
- Director, The Real Thing
- Director, Present Laughter, Theatre Royal Bath Productions
- Director, Moon Tiger
- Director, The Vortex, Rose Theatre in Association with Kingston University
- Director, The Importance of Being Earnest
- Director, Farewell to the Theatre
- Director, The Winslow Boy, Rose Theatre Kingston
- Director, Hamlet, English Touring Theatre and Yvonne Arnaud Theatre
- Director, Ghosts, English Touring Theatre
- Director, Love’s Labour’s Lost, English Touring Theatre
- Director, The Cherry Orchard
- Director, The Master Builder, English Touring Theatre
- Director, Henry IV, Parts I & II, English Touring Theatre
- Director, The Seagull
- Director, Hedda Gabler, English Touring Theatre
- Director, The School for Wives, English Touring Theatre
- Director, Macbeth, English Touring Theatre
- Director, As You Like It, English Touring Theatre
- Director, Hamlet, English Touring Theatre
- Director, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, English Touring Theatre
- Director, The Long Way Round, National Theatre
- Adaptation / Director, The Knickers
- Director, Look Back in Anger, Bristol Old Vic Company
- Director, A Yorkshire Tragedy: Not so New as Lamentable and True, National Theatre
- Director, Torquato Tasso, National Theatre
- Director, The Lottery of Love, National Theatre
- Director, King Lear, English Touring Theatre