Samuel Pepys’ profile
I having now seen a play every day this week till I have neglected my business, and that I am ashamed of, being found so much absent
Troubled in mind that I cannot bring myself to mind my business, but to be so much in love of plays.
Seen, or going to see
- Personal website.
- Joined 16th January 2011.
- Last logged in on 16th January 2011.
Last five observations
- To production of The Wits, by Sir William Davenant, The Opera, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 1661: “Hello. This is a test. “This is a quote”. 1 2 3. 1st 2nd 3rd. ”
- To Duke's Company production of The Comical Revenge, or Love in a Tub , by Sir George Etherege, The Great Hall, London, 1666: “That was supposed to be Monday 29 October 1666 ”
- To production of The Wild Goose Chase, by John Fletcher, Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London, 1668: “From dinner with Mercer, who dined with us, and wife and Deb. to the King’s house, there to see “The Wild-goose Chase,” which I never saw, but have long longed to see it, being a famous play, but as it was yesterday I do find that where I expect most I find least satisfaction, for in this play I met with nothing extraordinary at all, but very dull inventions and designs.”
- To King's Company production of Aglaura, by Sir John Suckling, Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London, 1668: “So home to dinner, and then with my wife and Deb. to the King’s house, to see “Aglaura,” which hath been always mightily cried up; and so I went with mighty expectation, but do find nothing extraordinary in it at all, and but hardly good in any degree.”
- To King's Company production of All Mistaken, or The mad couple, by James Howard, Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London, 1667: “I rose soon from dinner, and with my wife and girle to the King’s house, and there saw “The Mad Couple,” which is but an ordinary play; but only Nell’s and Hart’s mad parts are most excellently done, but especially hers: which makes it a miracle to me to think how ill she do any serious part, as, the other day, just like a fool or changeling; and, in a mad part, do beyond all imitation almost. [It pleased us mightily to see the natural affection of a poor woman, the mother of one of the children brought on the stage: the child crying, she by force got upon the stage, and took up her child and carried it away off of the stage from Hart.] Many fine faces here to-day. ”
Last ten changes
- This user has made no changes or additions yet.
Sign in to say which productions you have seen, and more.