- Theatre Francais de Vienne, Touring
- Theatre Francais de Vienne, Vienna and tour
- YMCA Theatre Group, Nottingham, YMCA, Nottingham
- Library Theatre Company, Library Theatre, Manchester
- Renaissance Theatre Company, Her Majesty’s Theatre, Barrow in Furness
- Colchester Repertory Company, Colchester Repertory Theatre
- Little Theatre, Bristol
- Old Vic Company, New Theatre (now Noël Coward Theatre), London
- Nottingham University Cercle Français, Nottingham University
A play by Jean Anouilh
The play is based on Sophocles’ classical Greek tragedy of the same name, which formed the final part of a trilogy about the Oedipus legend.
Anouilh’s version was first produced in Paris in 1942 at the time of the Nazi Occupation, which gave its theme a poignant topicality. It has been suggested that the Nazis allowed the play to be performed because they saw Creon as a convincing portrayal of a Fuhrer.