The Alexandra

Originally opened as the Lyceum but just over a year later was renamed Alexandra Theatre, although it has been commonly called The Alex for most of it’s life.
The interior was rebuilt in Art Deco style in 1935.
The entrance was originally on John Bright Street but in 1967–69 a new entrance block was built on Suffolk Queensway.
The theatre was owned by the Salberg family from 1911 to 1977 but since then the ownership has changed several times. It is currently owned by the ATG Theatre Group who for a short period renamed it the New Alexandra Theatre. Following a major refurbishment it reopened on 17th September 2018 as the rebranded The Alexandra.

Past productions

More →

  • Suffolk Queensway, Birmingham, B5 4DS
  • Telephone: 0870 607 7533
  • A proscenium theatre.
  • Opened 27th May 1901
  • Official website
  • Wikipedia

Also called

  • New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham (2010 – 16th September 2018)
  • Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham (22nd December 1902 – 2010)
  • Lyceum Theatre, Birmingham (27th May 1901 – November 1902)


If you have a photograph or picture of this place, please sign in to upload it, or add it to Flickr and tag it with .

Photo credits