The theatre opened as ‘The Alhambra Theatre of Varieties’ in 1898. By the 1950s nude revues played most of the season. The autumn/winter of 1954, however, included a week from the Blackpool Rainbow Pierrots and a three week season from the ‘famous’ Frank Fortescue Players. The Palace closed for its summer break in July the following year and never re-opened. There were hopes that someone would come to its rescue but it was not to be. The theatre, with its curved proscenium arch, was finally demolished in 1962.