Stephen Sondheim Theatre
The theatre originally opened as the Henry Miller’s Theatre in 1918 and operated under that name until 1969. In 1970 it was renamed the Park-Miller Theatre and operated as a movie house. In the mid 1970s it started to show porno movies and changed its name again to the Avon-at-the-Hudson after the same named theatre at the Hudson Theatre closed. In June 1978 it became the fashionable discotheque Xenon and eventually closed as such in 1984. During its time as Xenon it presented one legitimate theatre show – a revival of “The Ritz” which lasted for one performance on the 2nd May 1983. It continued as variously named night clubs until 1998 when the Roundabout Theatre Company produced its revival of the musical “Cabaret” which was presented in a nightclub setting. For this production the theatre was called the Kit Kat Club. Between 2004 and 2009 the site was redeveloped as the Bank of America Tower with only the landmark designated facade remaining of the original as the entrance to the new theatre, which is constructed below ground level. On reopening it retained the Henry Miller’s name for a short time but was quickly renamed for Stephen Sondheim in 2010.
- 124 W 43rd Street, New York
- Henry Miller’s Theatre, New York (1918 – May 2010)
- Edit this place’s information
- Add a production here
- This is a duplicate of another place
- A–Z of all productions at this place