Lyceum Theatre

On November 21st 1887 the “New Lyceum Theatre” opened, a 1500 seat theatre designed by the prominent architect Alfred Darbyshire. In 1906 Charlie Chaplin appeared in Sherlock Holmes as Billy the Page Boy, and Stan Laurel (known then as Stanley Jefferson) appeared in Sleeping Beauty alongside Wee Georgie Wood, the world’s smallest comedian. On March 11th 1910 a fire started that completely destroyed the building. The “New Theatre” was opened on September 4th 1911. The first production in this Theatre as it stands was ‘All For Her’, based upon ‘A Tale of Two Cities’. It was known simply as “Crewe Theatre” in the 1950s and 1960s. In 1978 the theatre’s name reverted to “Lyceum”, and in 1994 a new extension was added to the replace the front of house facilities, The Gallery previously had been re-seated and the backstage area improved to a cost of approximately £1.5 million. It was re-opened on November 20th 1994 with a Gala Show and on November 12th 1996 HRH Princess Margaret officially opened the new building.

Past productions

More →


If you have a photograph or picture of this place, please sign in to upload it, or add it to Flickr and tag it with .

Photo credits