J W (‘Jimmy’) James
Durham School (1943–1950); St Catharine’s College, Cambridge (1951–1954). Drama Dept, Bristol University (1955–1957). After (sadly) brief career as a playwright, a lifetime devoted to teaching and examining English Literature, and seeing as much theatre as possible. Activities also include school productions of ‘Dandy Dick’, ‘The Admirable Crichton’, ‘The Knight of the Burning Pestle’, ‘She Stoops to Conquer’, ‘The Matchmaker’ and ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ and Some amateur society acting, including Bottom, Iago, Sir Anthony Absolute, Henry Hobson, Danforth in ‘The Crucible’, Albert Parker in ‘When We Are Married’ ‘Harold Twine in ‘Rookery Nook’ and Fourth Knight and Tempter in ‘Murder in the Cathedral’. Still has two unproduced plays, and a strong desire to see them staged before popping his clogs – a family drama called ‘The Running Fight’ and an ‘epic’ entitled ‘The Rot’.
- Author, The Curious History of Seneschal Epipsychidion McGrew, Century Theatre, Keswick
- Author, A Sense of Loss, Theatre in the Round, Scarborough
- Translator, The Game of Love and Chance, Theatre in the Round, Scarborough
- Translator, The Marriage of Figaro, Bristol University Dramsoc
- Director, The Analysts
- Translator, Investigation, Bristol University Dramsoc