DAVID COLLISON began his career as an assistant stage manager at the Arts Theatre Club in London. He went on to become a renowned sound designer and during the 1970s and 80s, worked on more than fifty West End musicals including Fiddler on the Roof, Cabaret, Sweet Charity, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Mame, A Little Night Music, Grease, Company, Applause, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat and Jesus Christ Superstar.
He was Sound Designer for the Royal Shakespeare Company under Sir Peter Hall and for the National Theatre Company under Sir Laurence Olivier. As a sound consultant, he designed permanent sound systems for theatres and concert halls in the UK and around the world, including the National Theatre of Great Britain.
David was privileged to work with many illustrious performers including Bing Crosby, Julie Andrews, Sammy Davis Jnr., Judi Dench, Kenneth Williams, Maggie Smith, Michael Crawford, Leslie Caron, Ginger Rogers, Elizabeth Taylor, John Mills, Peter Sellers, Bruce Forsyth, Sean Connery, Harry Secombe, Tommy Steele, Max Bygraves, Lauren Bacall, Johnny Matthis, Jean Simmons, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, the whole of the Dad’s Army Team and many more.
In 1988 he formed Adventure Projects to use his theatrical talents for the creation of themed visitor attractions, two of which received English Tourist Board Awards for Excellence.
In 2007, David Collison received the USITT Harold Burris-Meyer Distinguished Career in Sound Design Award. In 2013, he was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Central School for Speech and Drama.
He has written two acclaimed books on theatre sound (Stage Sound and The Sound of Theatre) and a humorous book describing the problems he encountered trying to build a house in Spain (Are We Driving Up The Right Riverbed?). He has also written a play adapted from Hans Andersen’s The Tinder Box that he directed at the Polka Children’s Theatre in London, plus numerous scripts for audio-visuals and videos.
- Sound, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Sound Design, West Side Story
- Sound Design, I’m Going To Get My Act Together And Take It On The Road
- Sound, Jesus Christ Superstar
- Sound Design, Kismet
- Sound, The Travelling Music Show
- Sound Design, Carte Blanche
- Sound Design, SwingalongaMax
- Sound, Liza of Lambeth
- Sound Design, Billy
- Sound Design, Side By Side By Sondheim
- Sound, A Little Night Music
- Sound Design, Dad’s Army
- Sound Design, Julie Andrews at the Palladium
- Sound Design, Bing Crosby at the Palladium
- Sound Design, John Paul George Ringo and Bert
- Sound, Jeeves
- Sound Design, Pilgrim: A Musical Trip
- Sound Design, Gulliver’s Travels
- Sound, The Good Companions